Because I Can has become my temporary motto and go-to hashtag.
Six months ago I learned that I would no longer be working for the company that has employed me for the last 10 years. I have given much time and energy to the company and while the news was sad, I was also hopeful. I truly believe it means that God has something else he wants me to do. I was given a long lead time, 7 months before my last day paid, and with 3.5 months to go, I was asked to turn in my company belongings and begin "garden leave." For the last 10 weeks (and another 5 remaining), I have been paid as a full-time employee, severance starts at the end of garden leave. A pretty nice situation which allows me to do things I might not be able to otherwise - hence, Because I Can.
There are definite sadnesses, the greatest is not seeing people with whom I had spent the majority of my day. Many of them left the company shortly after we were notified. I continued to go into the office, even when I had little work to do, only because I wanted to spend time with the very fine people that were not only my colleagues, but my friends. On July 2, I said "see you soon" and started my new chapter.
 |
| A few of my lovely colleagues |
Even the most casual observer of my life will know that I not only love to work, but I love to help people. As long as the work I am doing is making a difference, I am neither appalled nor stressed by long days and challenges. When I told a friend and former colleague of my impending changes, his concern was not whether or not I would be OK financially, but how I would handle having so much purposeless time. A valid concern.
So, what does an unashamed workaholic do when they are getting paid to not work? I work of course.
I have pretty much finished all my organizing endeavors. Starting first with my closet and the mess that occurs with about 90 pairs of shoes (my dad joked that I should put IKEA assembler as a skill on my LinkedIn profile) and ending with the media cabinet. I will be finished (I think) once I am satisfied with a means for storing the approximately 350 cds which accounts for 2/3s of my cd collection. My house is not quite as clutter free as a model home, but close. Unwanted mail only enters my home when it requires action, otherwise it hits the shred or recycle bins in the garage.
 |
| temporary storage - in alphabetic order by artist |
I have taken up chalk paint. I started first with my mother's dresser that had been in the garage and was now needed up in my ensuite as part of the closet organization. I then addressed my guest room furniture that started out mint green in the 19hm-hms when I was 5 years old, was later painted to resemble pine and is now back to the original green color, with sunny yellow accents. It's a very addictive hobby, don't get me near anything that needs some sprucing, my solution is chalk paint and stenciling.
 |
| Mom's dresser before it was moved |
 |
| KP's dresser now in guest room |
I took a fabulous holiday to Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar and Portugal prior to my departure. But the real luxury was the 10-day road trip I took with my parents to visit my brother in Montana and my personal 2-day visit with the Scholtens in Wyoming. It was delightful spending time with them and seeing the country up-close. We all had a great time and said our good-byes to Chris's Montana home before he moved to Texas. On the drive back, Mom, Dad and I spent a day in Yellowstone seeing parts of the park I don't remember having been to in prior trips, stopping to take pictures of bison.
 |
| Dad and I in Yellowstone |
 |
| Chris, Mom and I at church |
 |
Polo Ponies in Jackson
|
Had I been working, there wouldn't have been a chance that I would have been able to take 23 days (4.5 weeks) vacation in 3 months time. To do that, then work Royal Family Kids Camp for a week, would have been doubly unheard of, but this year I did - Because I Can. At camp, I helped Audrey with the mail, ran errands to Walmart, drove 260 miles round trip to pick up a child that wasn't able to make it to the church to be bussed down with the rest of the campers, helped the photo team, served food, helped where needed and did night relief (stay with the campers for 2 hours so the counselors can have a break). I had asked to be given tasks that did not require me to be with campers all the time so I could go to interviews if needed, but phone coverage was sketchy, allowing me to dedicate the entire week to the kids.
 |
| Counselor Greg carrying 2 special campers |
Some of the other Because I Can moments are smaller, but no less memorable. When my dad was going to be gone most of the day, 2 days in a row, my mom and I explored new restaurants, both of which we are happy to recommend - South of Nicks in San Clemente and Driftwood Kitchen in Laguna Beach.
 |
| Mom and I at Driftwood Kitchen |
One morning, I decided to greet the day from the Crescent Bay overlook in Laguna Beach. It was so refreshing to listen to the sea lions bark and the waves meet the shore. In the last few weeks, I have taken pictures of the sunset from various beaches, because I neither have office hours, nor need to worry about being fresh by a certain hour the next day. A real treat was taking a weekday morning after Labor Day to marvel at the waves created by hurricane Linda, as well as admire the surfers that dared to ride them.
 |
| Salt Creek Beach |
 |
| Newport Beach Pier |
Not only am I fortunate to have these Because I Can moments, but as my friend Dave pointed out when I was lamenting that my day only consisted of going to the gym, applying to jobs and taking pictures of the sunset, I am getting paid to do it. Thank you Dave for reminding me how truly blessed I am.
Future blog posts will talk about my thoughts and experiences during this "transition time." Please join me in praying that postings will be few and that this time, while precious, will be short in duration. I might like this phase more than anticipated, but I still like to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment